Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Damn Horse

It's been a few weeks, ok months, but at least give me credit for being in the same calendar year.  It was a wednesday night, the spring weather made for a night outside with myself and your brother.  We were playing hockey I am sure.  I watched you and mom drive away, off to your horseback riding lesson. 

I got the call around 8pm, you and mom were at the hospital.  You had a fall from the horse, and this one hurt.  They suspected your arm to be broken.  Sure enough, after hours of wating, the x-rays confrms that you had a break just above your elbow.  At 5am, I was awoken by the sound of you and mom coming home.  You had this poor innocent little look on your face while sporting this huge cast.  I wanted to cry, but I was too tired.  We realized we had to go to Sick Kids hospital for surgery.  We had to be there by 8am. 

Since your mom hadn't slept, most likely, you never really sleppt either, we packed up you and yur brother in the van, and off to Toronto we went.  We beat rush hour and arrived in plenty of time.  We checked into Emerg, were sent to Orthopedics, then back to Emerg.  Everyone there was wonderful.  After a few hours, we checked into your room.  Since we weren't sure what time you would go into surgery, we knew you would be there at least for the night.

After lunch, your brother and I left.  You were such a trooper, that you had your IV put in by that time and didn't even flinch.  You laid in bed most of the afternoon, watched a movie or two with your mom.  I was disappointed becasue I knew what you were about to go through would set back your plans for the summer.  Powerskating lessons, done.  Soccer, next year.  Horse back Riding lessons...maybe in the fall.  Recovery, rehabilitation, weeks, most likely, months. 

The day went by, and te doctor's were unable to fit you in.  Matthew and I had a boys night.  McDonalds and bath and bed.  The next morning, I heard you might be in surgery by 9am.  Matt and I took bosco for a walk, and after that, I called and your mom thought it would be mid afternoon.  We waited anxiously.  Finally, around supper time, you went in for surgery.  All was a success.  Aparently you were quite the character in recovery eating a dozen or so freezies since it had been almost 48hrs since you had a true meal.  

The next day, Matt and I headed for Toronto.  We arrived mid morning and had a few things to wait for before you were dismissed.  We got home, and you laid low for the rest of the day.  I truly wish I did not get caught in the moment when I got home that night because you were quite the character under the influence of morphine.  Your hair in a bun, those silly glasses without lenses and your squeaky voice.  I viral video was there somewhere.  Oh well, opportunity lost.

Three weeks went by and you never complained once.  I have no idea how you did it, but you just did.  Your brother and I went back to have your pins removed, by the way, there were three pins.  Watching the nurse remove them, you were such a strong girl.  I wouldn't have believed my eyes if I didn't see it first hand.  The last one gave you a bit of an ouch.  Regardless, you were very brave.  Most people would cringe at the thought of it.

The nurse put on a bandaid and gave us specific instructions for the next few days.  You were real good about following those instructions.    Most importantly, within a few days, you were able to have a shower for the first time in what was alomost a month.  As time went by, you slowly got more movement in your arm.  A little bit day by day.  It is now the second week in July, and you can almost straighten it and bend it. 

All in all, I am sorry you had to go through it.  It is almost like a right if passage for children in general.  You couldn't have been a better patient.  We were so luck that it was only your arm.  Hopefully, like chicken pox, the bone break skips your brother.

Love you,

Dad

No comments: